Tension arose between Islamabad admintration and Khateeb Lal Masjid.


ISLAMABAD: July 19 ,A heavy contingent of police, including Counter-Terrorism Force cordoned off Lal Masjid after Maulana Aziz threat to break the agreement under which he had left Lal Masjid for two months.

Tensions have risen between thelaw enforcement agiencies and former khateeb of Lal Masjid Maulana Abdul Aziz after disappearance of one of his close aides, Maulana Idrees.

The Special Branch alerted the capital administration that theMaulana Aziz may break a recent agreement with the government and try to return to Lal Masjid. As a result, the mosque was again cordoned off by the police to intercept his entry.

according to the information that Maulana Aziz’s close aide Maulana Idrees disappeared from outside Jamia Fareedia on July 15. Some works were underway at the madressah on the direction of Maulana Aziz under the supervision of Maulana Idrees.

After the disappearance of his aide, Maulana Aziz in a message threatened to break the agreement under which he had left Lal Masjid for two months. The agreement was reached between him and the government through a group of Ulema on june 04, 2020.

The Lal Masjid administration claimed that Maulana Idrees was picked by Counter Terrorism Department when he was returning from Jamia Fareedia. In response, the spouse of Maulana Aziz along with students of Jamia Hafsa reached Jamia Fareedia where its students locked her in a room.

They also snatched mobile phones from students of Jamia Hafsa which were recovered by the police from the students of Jamia Hafsa.

Its may mentioned here that Former Lal Masjid khateeb Maulana Abdul Aziz along with his family moved to Jamia Hafsa from the mosque under an agreement made between him and the government. Maulana Aziz and his wife shifted to their house located on the premises of Jamia Hafsa at G-7.

However, teachers and students of Jamia Hafsa residing inside the Lal Masjid will remain there and continue their educational activities,

Earlier, there was a deadlock between Moulana Aziz and the government and several ulema and religious leaders were mediating between them, sources in the capital administration and police said, adding both had refused to show flexibility in their demands.

But on May 31, police deployed around Lal Masjid detained the elder daughter of Maulana Aziz for over four hours, said the sources. The ulema and religious leaders who were mediating between them approached the police and requested them to release her, but their requests were turned down.

Later, they approached the government and senior officers of the capital administration and showed displeasure over the matter and informed them that under such a situation they would not mediate any more, the sources said. After more than four hours, the woman was released.

Besides, senior officers of the capital administration scolded police officers saying their act may sabotage the peace and the negotiation process with Maulana Aziz.

Later, the same ulema and religious leaders approached Maulana Aziz and the administration officers and asked them to show flexibility to resolve the issue.

Later Maulana Mohammad Ahmed Ludhianvi visited Lal Masjid along with Maulana Abdul Rehman Muavia and negotiated with Maulana Aziz, said the sources.

Deputy Inspector General of Police (DIG) Operations Waqaruddin Syed also visited the mosque and excused with Maulana Aziz over the detention of his daughter and assured him that action would be taken against those responsible. When Maulana Aziz left the mosque voluntarily after which the police were withdrawn from the area.

About the author